POLICE OFFICER (CERTIFIED)
SALARY: Experienced Police Officers will be paid as follows,
1 - 2.9 years of service $60,091.20 annually
3 - 4.9 years of service $62,483.20 annually
5 - 6.9 years of service $64,979.20 annually
7 - 8.9 years of service $67,329.60 annually
9 or more years of service $ 69,742.40 annually
To apply for employment as a Certified Police Officer, you must:
1. Watch the "Police Officer Applicant" video that previews the position of a Fort Lauderdale Police Officer. This video provides important information concerning the job's requirements and other information about the hiring process. After watching the video you must meet the following minimum qualifications at the time of application. Click here to view the video: (Video) or view by going to YouTube and copying and pasting this link: https://youtu.be/MHST6gOAQYM
2. Be a United States citizen (U.S. born or naturalized).
3. Have a U.S. high school education, General Education Development (GED) or equivalent, which includes United States Armed Forces Institute (USAFI) tests. Equivalence of Non-U.S. education must be approved by the State of Florida's Criminal Justice Standards and Training Commission (If a degree was acquired in a country other than the United States, evidence of equivalence from a recognized agency must be provided.)
4. Be at least 21 years of age.
5. Must have completed at least sixty (60) semester credit hours toward an advanced degree (2-year degree or higher) from an accredited private or public institution that is accepted by the city, with a minimum G.P.A. of at least a 2.0. (Copy of transcript must be provided.)
NOTE: The college semester credit hour requirement may be waived for U.S. Military personnel who have at least two (2) years of active duty service and an honorable discharge. This requirement may also be waived for certified police officers with two (2) years of police service.
6. Possess a valid Florida driver's license within 30 days of appointment.
7. Must meet one of the requirements below:
- Possess a valid Florida Department of Law Enforcement (FDLE) Police Officer Certification. - Must provide a copy of certification.
- Possess a certification from another Federal or State Law Enforcement Agency and worked as a full-time Police Officer for at least one (1) year (excluding police academy training hours.) – Must provide State certification and academy training curriculum.
- Completed an Equivalency of Academy Training program approved by the Florida Department of Law Enforcement. – Must provide copy of certification.
8. Must be able to successfully meet a minimum reading ability level and pass all City of Fort Lauderdale required pre-employment examination requirements.
9. Shall be non-user of tobacco products which include, but may not be limited to cigarettes, e-cigarettes or vapor cigarettes, cigars, pipes, smokeless tobacco of any kind at all times (whether on or off duty).
For more detailed information regarding our requirements, click here.
The City of Fort Lauderdale is an equal opportunity employer.