Non-Certified Police Officer starting salary - $51,085
Upon completion of original probationary period – $54,744 - $84,739 annually
Salary is based on a forty (40) hour work week with overtime or compensatory time paid, (at time-and-one-half), for those hours in excess of the standard workweek. After one (1) year of service with the City an upon completion of probation, a Police Officer may request a preference for shift assignment once each calendar year. Such assignments are based upon availability and departmental seniority.
All uniforms and equipment are furnished by the department with the exception of the service weapon, shoes, handcuffs, and whistle.
Police Officers are eligible for full retirement after twenty (20) years of service computed at three (3 %) percent per year (60% @ 20 years and up to a maximum of 75% after 25 years). The retirement plan is supported by the City and is contributory on the part of the employee, who is required to contribute eight and one-half (8 ½%) percent of his/her (pre-tax) gross salary.
Vacation – Sick Leave – Hospitalization
- Vacation is accrued at a rate of 120.12 hrs. per year
- Nine (9) paid holidays and three (3) personal holidays per year (with an option to convert sick leave to vacation or cash)
- Comprehensive health, dental and vision benefits are available
After one (1) year of service with the City, a Police Officer may participate in the Tuition Reimbursement program for partial or full refund of tuition for job-related college course work (based on grades).
ELIGIBILITY TO COMPETE IN PROMOTIONAL EXAMS (POLICE OFFICER TO SERGEANT)
- Four (4) continuous years as a Fort Lauderdale Police Officer; or
- Three (3) continuous years with possession of a one (1) year certificate for police science or closely related course of study and must be approved by the Personnel Manager; or
- Two (2) continuous years with possession of an Associate’s Degree or its equivalent in hours in designated subject areas (shall not be less than 33 semester hours); or
- Two (2) continuous full years with possession of a Bachelor’s or Master’s Degree in the law enforcement field or closely related course of study.
Applicants with any of the following driving history will not be approved for testing:
1. Accumulation of eight (8) points or more within the past thirty-six (36) months.
2. Suspension of driver’s license within the past thirty-six (36) months.
3. Non-traffic related suspensions, such as insurance related suspension, shall be reviewed on a case-by-case basis.
4. Four (4) or more moving violations within the past thirty-six (36) months (regardless of adjudication withheld for points).
5. A conviction (or case pending) for DUI, DWI, or Hit and Run within the last five (5) years.
6. Accumulation of more than one (1) moving violation in six (6) months prior to application.
7. Any significant negative driving history determined by management review of all relevant facts.
1. Any tattoo on an applicant, including those not readily visible, indicating membership in a hate, racist, subversive organization, criminal gang, or any symbol, including those not readily visible, that can be commonly associated with a hate, racist, subversive organization or criminal gang.
2. Any visible tattoo that can be deemed reasonably offensive or morally objectionable, including but not limited to, racially oriented, drug related, or sexually explicit words, pictures or symbols.
NOTE: Police Officer candidates hired on or after December 3, 2013, shall be non-users of tobacco products as a condition of employment and shall be required as an absolute condition of continued employment, to refrain from using or smoking cigarettes, cigars, pipes, smokeless tobacco or tobacco products of any kind at all times, whether on or off duty.
The City of Fort Lauderdale is an equal opportunity employer.