POLICE OFFICER (NON-CERTIFIED) JOB POSTING
STARTING SALARY: $51,085
SALARY: $54,932 - $84,739 (After Completion of Original Probationary Period)
OPENING DATE: May 1, 2013
CLOSING DATE: December 31, 2016 at 4:00 PM
This is a highly responsible position within the City of Fort Lauderdale that involves networking with the community and the protection of life and property. This is accomplished through patrol work, criminal investigation, community policing and enforcement of the laws of the State of Florida and the Ordinances of the City of Fort Lauderdale. Assignments may typically involve routine motor patrol, motorcycle traffic enforcement, boats, bicycle or foot patrol. Officers receive assignments and instructions from police officers of a higher rank and perform work in accordance with Department policies and standard operating procedures.
NOTE: The duties of this position will include all of those duties set forth in the official job description.
POLICE OFFICER NON-CERTIFIED
1. Be a United States citizen at time of application
2. Be at least 19 years of age upon appointment
3. Possess, or be eligible to obtain, a valid Florida driver’s license and have an acceptable driving record
4. Be of good moral character and have never been convicted of the following:
- Felony offense
- Misdemeanor offense involving perjury, false statement or domestic violence
NOTE: Any person who, after July 1, 1981, pleads guilty or nolo contendere to, or is found guilty of a felony, or of a misdemeanor involving perjury, false statement, or domestic violence, shall not be eligible for employment or appointment as an officer, in spite of suspension of sentence or withholding of adjudication.
5. Have received an honorable discharge from any of the armed forces of the United States (if applicable)
6. Have graduated from a standard high school or possess an equivalent education
- Possession of a General Equivalency Diploma (GED) or graduation from the United
- States Armed Forces Institute (USAFI) is acceptable only when accompanied by an official school transcript with final grades.
- If a degree was acquired in a country other than the United States, evidence of equivalence from a recognized agency must be provided. An out-of-state GED or USAFI must be acceptable by the State of Florida Police Standards Council.
7. Have successfully completed the Test of Adult Basic Education (TABE), version 9/10 - Level A, with a passing score of 12.9 in each individual category, Spelling, Reading and Language. The Mathematic Computation and Applied Mathematics score obtained must be an 11.0 combined or individually.
8. Have passed the basic skills tests required by the State of Florida to be employed as a law enforcement officer – Criminal Justice Basic Abilities Test (CJBAT), Basic Motor Skills Test (BMST) & Swim Test
The City of Fort Lauderdale is an equal opportunity employer.